Weighbridge Operator Certificate
To operate a public weighbridge, you need a certificate of competence issued by the Chief Inspector for Weights and Measures for your local authority.
How to apply
What happens next?
Once your completed application is received, an Officer will contact you to arrange a verbal test.
Anyone applying for a certificate must pass a verbal test to show they can:
- operate the weighbridge correctly
- complete any weighbridge tickets and associated documentation correctly
- understand basic terms associated with the operation of a weighbridge
- understand their legal obligations and duties as a weighbridge operator
- understand potential frauds which may unknowingly be assisted by a weighbridge operator
- understand how the accuracy of the weighbridge may be affected
- understand and be able to calculate gross, tare and net weights (use of a calculator is permitted)
There is currently no fee for the test.
If you pass your verbal test, a certificate of competence will be issued within 7 days.
If your application is refused contact us.
You may also appeal to the National Measurement Office if your application is refused.
Tacit consent does not apply in respect of Weighbridge Operators Certificates, it is in the public interest that the authority process your application before it can be granted.
Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted or approved.