Stockton Rental Standard
1. Landlords must ensure that their properties provide a safe and healthy environment for any potential occupier visitor. This includes,but is not limited to ensuring that the property is:
- free from damp and has adequate natural or mechanical ventilation where necessary to control moisture levels.
- provided with adequate thermal insulation and a suitable and effective means of space heating so that the dwelling space can be economically maintained at a reasonable temperature.
- free from Category 1 hazards with all other hazards managed to an acceptable risk level and that the property provides a safe and secure home for tenants
2. Landlords must ensure that all rental properties have at least one working smoke alarm installed on every storey of their rental property. They also must have a carbon monoxide alarm in any room where a fuel burning appliance is used and must ensure that the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy, and on notification of a defective alarm they must repair or replace the alarm as soon as reasonably possible.
3. For new tenancies from 1 July 2020 and for existing tenancies from 1 April 2021 and at least once every 5 years thereafter, landlords must have the electrical installations in their rental properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent.
4. Landlords must ensure any furnished properties comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988.
5. Landlords should ensure all properties are provided in a clean decorative condition at the start of each tenancy.
6. Landlords should ensure that all gardens are in a clean and tidy state at the start of each tenancy.