Help for private sector tenants
Find out how we can support you in finding and maintaining your privately-rented property.
The government's How to rent a safe home guide provides all the information you need to make your private tenancy a success.
We can also help you with your private tenancy.
Get help with a repair
Your landlord is responsible for repairing:
- the structure and outside of the building, including the walls, stairs and bannisters, roof, external doors and windows
- sinks, baths, toilets, pipes and drains
- heating and hot water
- chimneys and ventilation
- gas appliances
- electrical wiring
- entrance halls, communal stairways and shared kitchens
If your landlord has not carried out a repair that you have reported, contact our private sector housing team.
Check whether your landlord is accredited
When you are looking to rent a property, you can contact our private sector housing team to check whether your prospective landlord is accredited.
Get help with harassment or illegal eviction
If your landlord is attempting to evict you illegally or harassing you in anyway, contact our homelessness and housing options team for advice. Let us know that you are having trouble before you leave your property.
Examples of harassment or illegal eviction include:
- threats, abuse or actual violence
- threatening you if you refuse to leave the property
- physically throwing you out
- cutting off or interfering with services (gas, water or electricity supply)
- entering your home without your permission
- changing the locks
- removing your belongings
- constant telephone calls and/or text messages
Private sector housing team
Contact the private sector housing team if you need us to investigate a repair or you need help with finding an accredited landlord.
Homelessness and housing options team
Contact the homelessness and housing options team if your landlord is harassing you or trying to evict you illegally
During service hours: Service opening times are: Outside of these times including weekends, contact the Emergency Duty team on:
During service hours:
Service opening times are:
Outside of these times including weekends, contact the Emergency Duty team on: