Trading Standards advice
You can contact our team or the Citizens Advice Consumer Service for advice.
Our advice service
Our advisors provide advice on consumer issues arising from the supply of faulty goods and services.
If you have a complaint, officers will advise you on your legal rights and the best way for you to resolve your problem.
How to make an appointment
We operate a telephone appointment system from Monday to Friday. Morning appointments are between 10am and 12pm and afternoon appointments are between 2pm and 4pm.
If you require immediate advice over the telephone call 01642 527939 or 08082 231133.
Our Advisors can:
- give impartial advice on the law and your rights
- suggest appropriate courses of action
- advise on how to pursue your rights
- advise on court procedure
- pass on information to our Enforcement Team if criminal law has been broken and it is appropriate to do so
Our Advisors cannot:
- close businesses down
- automatically get a refund for you
- recommend a business to you
- tell you which businesses to avoid
The Citizens Advice Consumer Service
The Citizens Advice Consumer Service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues including:
- goods that are faulty, not fit for their purpose, or described incorrectly
- services that have not been carried out with reasonable care and within a reasonable time or for an acceptable price
- what to do if you think you have been scammed
- energy advice
The consumer service also acts as a channel to allow clients to report potential breaches of legislation or industry regulations, or unfair trading practises, to Trading Standards. Citizens Advice consumer service sends referrals to Trading Standards partners to support them in their work.
You can contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 2231133.