What is an apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a paid job which allows you to combine valuable work experience, whilst working towards a nationally recognised qualification. Alongside on-the-job training, apprentices spend at least 20% of their paid working time completing classroom-based learning with a college, university or training provider. Apprenticeships are open to anyone over the age of 16.
What we offer our apprentices
We have an excellent history of delivering successful apprenticeships and many of our apprentices have gone on to secure permanent roles within the Council. We offer our apprentices and employees:
- a competitive salary at the end of each month, above the national apprenticeship rate of pay
- a fixed term contract to enable completion of your apprenticeship qualification with paid time to attend training
- a generous annual leave entitlement of 26 days annual leave per year plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part-time apprentices)
- health and wellbeing support which includes free access to physiotherapy and counselling services, discounted gym membership, and much more
- continuous support from your manager and training provider
- access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
Who we are looking for
We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic people who want a rewarding career and a chance to support the people of our borough. We expect our apprentices to be committed towards their own learning and personal development, and to achieve their qualification. It will be hard work, but in return we offer a supportive environment where we encourage you to reach your full potential.
What apprenticeships are available?
We are looking to recruit to a number of apprenticeship opportunities across a range of professions, as part of our annual apprenticeship programme. We have an excellent track record of recruiting and supporting apprenticeships, with over 150 apprenticeships created across a range of services since 2019. Many have gone on to secure permanent positions within the Council.
On 26 May 2023, the following apprenticeship adverts will go-live and be open to applications on North East Jobs. All job roles will start employment in September 2023.
Business and Support Service Apprenticeships
Adult and Children's Social Care Apprenticeships
Education and Training Apprenticeships
Housing and Benefit Apprenticeships
Highways and Maintenance Apprenticeships
All our job vacancies, including our apprenticeship opportunities, are advertised on our job vacancies page.
For further information about our apprenticeship opportunities contact our Human Resources team on 01642 528277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.